CPU Mount Ideas & Materials

Vancity23

Reaction score
//AngryPenguin edit: shrink pic size

I had two cpu mounts made using 3D printing, they were very nice, the fit was exact, and they worked perfectly. However, both have melted now (pic of 2nd one below) in the sun, so looking for some ideas using different materials? Aluminum or maybe even wood....Anything that can be painted black to match the interior will be good. Thanks.

F8DC0270-B546-4423-A139-2DC06140FC1A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Run4donut

Free rays of instant on
Advanced
Reaction score
//AngryPenguin edit: shrink pic size

Tape it. Heck tape the heads too with this stuff.
20190810_150924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bocephus

Let’s light one up and move along!
Advanced
Reaction score
My "professional" install they just used a zip tie as the unit is visible/accessible until the door is open. It is held on the frame of the dash inside the paneling. Do you have a kill or do you need access? Either way I would just use the tape or velcro option unless you're wanting a factory look based on location.

Vancity23

Reaction score
Where I have to mount it, zip ties velco or tape wont work.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced
Reaction score
Where I have to mount it, zip ties velco or tape wont work.
Why not? What are the considerations we should bear in mind, and what was your 3D printed design that we can use to visualize what you were trying to accomplish?

Vancity23

Reaction score
Ya hard to explain buy under a slanted dash, ideally buttons accessible so mounted facing up if that makes sense or upside down speaker facing down.

Any thoughts on using a magnetic mount, any interference concerns?

Vancity23

Reaction score
Thanks.

Any thoughts on using a magnetic mount, any interference concerns?

oktavf

Reaction score

Vancity23

Reaction score
PM’d Jag42 and he said using a magnetic mount is no go, as the speaker is magnetic...

STS-134

Advanced
Reaction score
Is it possible that other 3D printing materials have a higher heat tolerance? Because I have a 3D printed bracket holding my ALP display and LED, and it hasn't melted yet.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced
Reaction score
Certainly some materials, the conditions they’re in, and even the design itself can all contribute to how affected a piece is by heat. 3D printing is not an area of expertise for me. I’ve only read up on it, never done it, but common and less expensive filaments tend to be more susceptible to heat. It’s part of the reason (other than wireless charging) I’m biding my time to get an ABS-printed version of the 436HP mount from @SquirrelMaster because in south Texas even shielded from the sun in a garage I think PLA will stand a much better chance of developing problems, much less during occasional trips through 115F deserts. If I lived in the Bay Area, I don’t think I’d be all that concerned about it.

I can’t say that’s necessarily what the issue is, but that’s where I’d start looking.

Vancity23

Reaction score
Ya I don't know much about it either as I said they were printed for me, but possibly the 3D material composition can be different, not sure.