TSF/TSRej Effects. Falcon HR

Heywood

Live Fast Die Young Leave A Good Looking Corpse
Advanced
Reaction score
Planning on seeing the effects that the filters have against the Falcon HR.

I found a course that’s about 10,000 feet long. It’s straight. I don’t want to add vegetation’s or curves just yet.

Planning on running the
R3 1.50
R-Ex 1.15
Pro-M US16

Probably highway mode. Any other suggestions while I’m at it?

dchemist

Riding around in a bruised banana
Advanced
Reaction score
If you have the time, I'd personally be interested in the Auto City vs Highway for the Pro-M against the Falcon HR. Also city/adv (k 50%)/highway on the R3. The Falcon HR is the k band gun I'm most interested in ATM so anything you do report will be greatly appreciated.

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
Need a new course.
I just ran the Pro-M
Hwy
TSRej High
K wide.

21499.9 feet
4.07 miles.

Elevation probably had something to do with it and terrain.

R3

R-Ex

dchemist

Advanced
Reaction score
Holy crap, and that's on a lower power gun!!!

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
If you have the time, I'd personally be interested in the Auto City vs Highway for the Pro-M against the Falcon HR. Also city/adv (k 50%)/highway on the R3. The Falcon HR is the k band gun I'm most interested in ATM so anything you do report will be greatly appreciated.
I did this during the November 2018 testing just to prove a point if there was any difference between being above the upper threshold in AC mode vs Highway mode.

It wasn't against the Falcon, but I don't expect there to be any difference between the Bushnell and Falcon in this respect.

I've got a few video's of the runs from today. This was a feeler for the course so there's no 3 runs each. It wasn't worth the time. The weather is closing in as well.

Once I get the video's edited and ready, I'll move some of this over to the testing section... even though it's not really a tests

Here's the results of the November test.

Attachments

dchemist

Advanced
Reaction score
Yes, the gun does have Low Power sent to the antenna feedpoint, BUT also remember that the multi-element Quad Phased Array has tremendous gain which raises the ERP significantly. Max acquisition range is close to 1 mile on the one I have.
Ok, so now my wheels are spinning. In response to what you've started above, is the purpose of linear polarization to cut down on interference such that the 1 mile acquisition is possible? Or something along those lines? I realize they're using a patch antenna but I've still wondered why they would go with linear polarization over the more universally preferred circular polarization.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light
Advanced
Reaction score
Ok, so now my wheels are spinning. In response to what you've started above, is the purpose of linear polarization to cut down on interference such that the 1 mile acquisition is possible? Or something along those lines? I realize they're using a patch antenna but I've still wondered why they would go with linear polarization over the more universally preferred circular polarization.
I assumed it was related to the planar (flat, patch) antennas being cheaper to produce.

Also, the planar antennas don't output circular polarization, only linear. Thus if you are saving costs with a planar antenna design, then circular polarization is no longer an option, if I understand correctly.

Last edited:

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
Yes, the gun does have Low Power sent to the antenna feedpoint, BUT also remember that the multi-element Quad Phased Array has tremendous gain which raises the ERP significantly. Max acquisition range is close to 1 mile on the one I have.
I noticed this as well when I was out today with it setting up. Even though I could see the car coming, the gun couldn't see what speed it was doing till it was within that 1 mile range or so.

RedRocket

Advanced
Reaction score
I noticed this as well when I was out today with it setting up. Even though I could see the car coming, the gun couldn't see what speed it was doing till it was within that 1 mile range or so.
Ok, I'll answer each one of you separately w/ multiple Edits b/c I'm cooking my breakfast & have to keep checking it so I don't burn it into a charcoal crunchy mess. The range limit is a combination of 2 factors, SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) capabilities (a/k/a "Sensitivity" to detect/process very weak radar return signal) of the RF front end & acceptable evidence for the Court room. Similar, but not the same distance limitation as is set for Lidar evidence.
Ok I'm back (got side tracking at home).
I do not know why Kustom EE's chose to use resonant "full squares" of 1 wavelength copper Patch configurations, a slight change & a lil' more etching could have allowed for either full Vertical or Horizontal polarization depending on where the antenna feedpoint was place. Interference is not a factor needing consideration in this design of their's. Linear polarization is the result of equal RF currents distributed in both physical planes throughout the entire copper surface area.
I assumed it was related to the planar (flat, patch) antennas being cheaper to produce.

Also, the planar antennas don't output circular polarization, only linear. Thus if you are saving costs with a planar antenna design, then circular polarization is no longer an option, if I understand correctly.
Yes the Patch is less costly having only to be "etched" in an acid bath rather than the cost of machining a circular, or metal molded 3D typical horn in all RDs we use today.
Also way less real estate. There's no horn.
Not really, the Falcons Patch Array is actually a real estate hog, you couldn't fit that antenna inside of any windshield RD or even a STi R remote.

Last edited:

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
The MRCD antennas here are close to the same. Maybe twice as thick, but part of that could be the mounting assembly. They are definitely longer. Probably 12” to 18”.

Attachments

asleeper

Reaction score
What I meant less real estate is in length. They are easily mounted on the bumpers and pushbars remotely.
That and the Falcon HR is fairly lightweight, cheap (on the VA state contract they are ~$1200), and versatile (can be used as a handheld or dash/remote mounted). While dash mounting may not be ideal, albeit less of problem in a larger vehicle like an SUV I certainly see the appeal for smaller/rural PD's with limited budgets.

GTO_04

Reaction score
That and the Falcon HR is fairly lightweight, cheap (on the VA state contract they are ~$1200), and versatile (can be used as a handheld or dash/remote mounted). While dash mounting may not be ideal, albeit less of problem in a larger vehicle like an SUV I certainly see the appeal for smaller/rural PD's with limited budgets.
Where can we get a proper dash mount bracket for these? Do they even exist?

GTO_04

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced
Reaction score
Where can we get a proper dash mount bracket for these? Do they even exist?
They do exist. I think they’re identical to and interchangeable with the Talon. They have them on eBay occasionally, and I’ve seen them sold as part of the whole package on RDF in recent history, but I would imagine others here could source one for you as well.

Just make sure you have a remote to go with it if you do that, since the trigger gets deactivated even if you just put a magnet on the front to fool it into thinking it’s docked (enabling moving mode if activated, etc). I can make you one from a universal remote if you need one.

GTO_04

Reaction score
They do exist. I think they’re identical to and interchangeable with the Talon. They have them on eBay occasionally, and I’ve seen them sold as part of the whole package on RDF in recent history, but I would imagine others here could source one for you as well.

Just make sure you have a remote to go with it if you do that, since the trigger gets deactivated even if you just put a magnet on the front to fool it into thinking it’s docked (enabling moving mode if activated, etc). I can make you one from a universal remote if you need one.
Thanks! Good to know. I happen to have a Talon too.

GTO_04

asleeper

Reaction score
lol. Me too.

The handles are interchangeable
That's my understanding too, the handles/bases for the Talon and Falcon HR are interchangeable. As for the dash mount bracket, I've seen them on Ebay.