• RDTalk.org has acquired RDForum.org, the largest countermeasure forum in the US! Please go to https://www.rdforum.org/ to participate on the new site!

2020 C8 Corvette price is out

AngryPenguin

Advanced
Reaction score
Its amazing what they built at the price point, its going to hurt sales for a lot of other competitors...

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this. Each type of 'supercar' has their target market. I'm going to use this term carefully, but respectfully as well. The Corvette is meant for car buyers who will buy American, but also those who are after "value oriented" fast cars. Corvette's are a bargain especially from a performance perspective, but while it does that well, it doesn't tick off some of the other boxes.

Between a 2010 R8 or a new Corvette, I'd personally take the R8. I have 0.5 interest in the Corvette.

To me, it's like the value oriented Genesis G90. Is it a good car that does 90% of what a flagship should do at 70% of the price? Yes, absolutely, but I would never ever own one.

So bringing this back on topic to the 'Vette. Great car, but no, I don't think they would hurt sales for its main competitors which I know are a lot more $. The 'Vette is for a niche buyer. It'll never satisfy your Bay/Wall street type of person, but it would for an American car lover who is on the older side. (no disrespect to anyone here, there or otherwise! - yes I know, a cliche, but I don't know of anyone 'young' who can afford a Vette who ends up buying one)

Heywood

Live Fast Die Young Leave A Good Looking Corpse
Advanced
Reaction score
I agree AP.

There might be a few guys with money to burn at refineries, but that’s an exception.

The normal corvette owner is generally as you described.

The younger guys 35 to 45 get something more along the lines of the GT-R. Those in that age bracket, if they’re buying a Corvette are buying the top of the line Z0 whatever. There’s not that many though.

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
Ya I agree but in BC dealer markups are not allowed...

If that’s the case, us Albertan’s would be flocking to BC in droves to buy cars. Yet we’re not.

It might not be called ADM’s but the markup
Is there.

Going to the states voids the warranty.

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
Ya I agree but in BC dealer markups are not allowed...

Sorry to clutter the post, but mark ups are real in BC.

SRT’s, Hellcats, Red Eyes come pretty much fully loaded from the factory.

Here’s an example of a Red Eye on Dodges Canadian web site. And then the dealer price in Mission BC. There’s no amount of options you can add to justify over a $30k mark up

That’s without tax.

Attachments

• 18F47378-6BEA-4F5C-9918-803B9ADAF53D.png
    18F47378-6BEA-4F5C-9918-803B9ADAF53D.png
    308.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 1474C157-0F5C-49A7-AB1F-FCC9F787C77C.png
    1474C157-0F5C-49A7-AB1F-FCC9F787C77C.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
Back to the new Vettes?

I’m skeptical that there might not be some monkey business on the announced prices.

I really hope GM can hold the dealers feet to the fire. That would be great

fogboundturtle

Reaction score
they will always be "ding dong motor dealership" who never sold corvette in their live who is going to try to sell some at high markup. My local dealer is selling MSRP.

Vancity23

Reaction score
Sorry to clutter the post, but mark ups are real in BC.

SRT’s, Hellcats, Red Eyes come pretty much fully loaded from the factory.

Here’s an example of a Red Eye on Dodges Canadian web site. And then the dealer price in Mission BC. There’s no amount of options you can add to justify over a $30k mark up

That’s without tax.

You could be right I remember reading I think on a Toyota forum about the new Supra, so maybe specific to Toyota, I will try to go back and find the thread...

Heywood

Advanced
Reaction score
You could be right I remember reading I think on a Toyota forum about the new Supra, so maybe specific to Toyota, I will try to go back and find the thread...

And I could be totally wrong. It’s a different manufacture.

I might be a different deal between Chev and the dealer principals.

CarlB

Can't Drive 55
Intermediate
Reaction score
As they trickle out markup will happen, but once the supply is high, which it will be, then prices will drop to normal.

adrianpl

Reaction score
no manual in c8 ?...... Selling my "collectors/manual" c7 for 20k over msrp....???

Best mounting points for ALP on c8?

PointerCone

Advanced
Reaction score
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ricing_PDF.pdf

Summary

1LT Starting at $59,995*
2LT Starting At: $67,295*
3LT Starting At: $71,945

Most notable option :

Z51 Performance Package2 $5,000
Magnetic Selective Ride Control & Performance Traction Management1 $1,895
GT2 Seats $1,495
Front Lift Adjustable Height with Memory $1,495
Engine Appearance Package $995
and yet all three of them above are slower than a Model 3 DMP in 0-60 and the qtr mile. What gives.

PointerCone

Advanced
Reaction score
Hellcat are only good in straight line. Corvette can take up to 1g of lateral force. They are a beast on the track.
True, BUT how many of us are tracking their cars on a regular basis?? If you wanna go qtr mile quick, Tesla Model S Raven is the car to get. 10.50 stock out of the box. Not even a ZR1 or ZO-6 runs those numbers stock.

CarlB

Can't Drive 55
Intermediate
Reaction score
True, BUT how many of us are tracking their cars on a regular basis?? If you wanna go qtr mile quick, Tesla Model S Raven is the car to get. 10.50 stock out of the box. Not even a ZR1 or ZO-6 runs those numbers stock.
Me. 1/4 mile isn't important, that said Tesla can't beat a ZR1/Z06 in 1/2 mile.

If 1/4 mile was the only component to car selection, then we should all drive Tesla's.

PointerCone

Advanced
Reaction score
Me. 1/4 mile isn't important, that said Tesla can't beat a ZR1/Z06 in 1/2 mile.

If 1/4 mile was the only component to car selection, then we should all drive Tesla's.
How many are racing the TX Mile or even GA 1/2 mile?? Very few. Its mostly stoplight to stoplight and 1/2 mile gets you in jail in most places. 1/4 mile gets you reckless.

Dr.how

INCTG
Advanced
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I agree with this. Each type of 'supercar' has their target market. I'm going to use this term carefully, but respectfully as well. The Corvette is meant for car buyers who will buy American, but also those who are after "value oriented" fast cars. Corvette's are a bargain especially from a performance perspective, but while it does that well, it doesn't tick off some of the other boxes.

Between a 2010 R8 or a new Corvette, I'd personally take the R8. I have 0.5 interest in the Corvette.

To me, it's like the value oriented Genesis G90. Is it a good car that does 90% of what a flagship should do at 70% of the price? Yes, absolutely, but I would never ever own one.

So bringing this back on topic to the 'Vette. Great car, but no, I don't think they would hurt sales for its main competitors which I know are a lot more $. The 'Vette is for a niche buyer. It'll never satisfy your Bay/Wall street type of person, but it would for an American car lover who is on the older side. (no disrespect to anyone here, there or otherwise! - yes I know, a cliche, but I don't know of anyone 'young' who can afford a Vette who ends up buying one)
Snob.... go ahead and pay 200% more for whatever you think your 100% is. The Germans continue to laugh all the way to the bank! Caveat: I was saying this like we were drinking beers TOGETHER, not outside the bar ready to fight. :)

Audi to me, still is the same Audi 100 or before that rusted out in one year. Then they copied the patented Chevy .mil taxpayer paid double sided galvanized blazer and pick up truck process. Audi started their uphill climb paid for by US taxpayer. Just like after the war. Except for a few old folks left over in Germany, they don’t thank us for anything. Including Americans spending money on their euro stuff. Germans are so that way. Oh, I am mostly kraught, blond, blue eye. This is not a PC incorrect attack. Caveat: tongue and cheek here. Beside RDK is finished. Want to leave it with something stirs up souls. :)

Dr.how

INCTG
Advanced
Reaction score
I agree AP.

There might be a few guys with money to burn at refineries, but that’s an exception.

The normal corvette owner is generally as you described.

The younger guys 35 to 45 get something more along the lines of the GT-R. Those in that age bracket, if they’re buying a Corvette are buying the top of the line Z0 whatever. There’s not that many though.
Let’s see... 40k Corvettes made... 300 or so GTR, less for Nismo model. Average age is 54+ with the GTR in US. Maybe youngins working for .gov in CA have more disposable income. :)

Dr.how

INCTG
Advanced
Reaction score
and yet all three of them above are slower than a Model 3 DMP in 0-60 and the qtr mile. What gives.
Not in the half mile and more. Or in track. And I am huge fan of model 3 DMP. One of the best around.

Dr.how

INCTG
Advanced
Reaction score
How many are racing the TX Mile or even GA 1/2 mile?? Very few. Its mostly stoplight to stoplight and 1/2 mile gets you in jail in most places. 1/4 mile gets you reckless.
I do past years in Ely NV. Half and one mile shootout.

CarlB

Can't Drive 55
Intermediate
Reaction score
Missing my point. The 1/4 is no more relevant than any other single performance stat. If someone's goal is to win 1/4 miles in a specific scenario around town, then yeah Tesla all the way.

But 1/2 mile tells you a lot more about how it will do highway runs on the interstate. We surely have more people on this forum doing highway driving than stop light racing. Tesla isn't exactly going to destroy interstates on a road trip when you have to stop for 45+mins to supercharge.

AngryPenguin

Advanced
Reaction score
I'm not one of those car fanboys who get offended if someone else dislikes whatever car I'm rooting for.

To each their own. Corvette build quality has a long way to go before they'll get my money. Actually now that I think of it, it's why I will never buy an American car.

It doesn't pass my bar for build quality.